Saturday, October 26, 2013

10 NOT so Great Things about Driving a Motorcycle in Thailand

1.  Rain.  Even sprinkles hurt at 100kph (my friend told me) Also, no one looks cool in a poncho.

2.  Being behind garbage trucks, cattle trucks, and pig trucks.  Did you know when animals are in the back of big trucks, they get scared, like they're being taken to slaughter or something, and they potty a lot!? It stinks!

3.  Being behind concrete trucks, loose gravel trucks, pretty much anything that could be carrying loose particles of any kind.  They HURT!

4.  Thai parking lots, a.k.a. where ever they stop in the street.  Need to run into a store?  No problem, park in the lane and turn your flashers on while you shop or don't turn your flashers on, whatever.  Also, when they use the shoulder for parking the driver's door is going to open to the street side sooo seriously watch out!

5.  The A/C just plain stops at stoplights and works rather poorly under 50kph.

6.  Helmet head! Sometimes my head is soaked by the time I arrive somewhere! So that hope of meeting Mr. Southern, Short, Tan, and Handsome in Thailand is greatly diminished when I'm soaked in sweat upon arrival to any and all destinations. I was trying to order a Starbucks the other day and the guy taking my order said, I'm guessing you want something COLD?! I like to be told I look hot, but I don't think this was a pick up line!

7.  Giving an accidental stop light concert.  Ear buds are in and music is at 100% volume so I can hear it over the roar of the traffic so I sing at 100% volume too! Unfortunately, the roar of the traffic stops at stoplights and my motorcycle gang compadres at the head of the line with me get to hear NOT my music at 100%, but my singing!

7.5 Going deaf because of the 100% volume.

8.  Speed bumps! Sometimes ya see em sometimes ya don't, but you always FEEL them! Sometimes flying off the seat in a forward motion is kind of fun like when your bum gets lifted up out of the seat on a roller coaster, it's the coming back down part that's a real downer!!! Punny?

9.  When you have to go to the bathroom! We can all recall a time when we had to go real bad and we're on the road and there's just no restroom in sight so every bump and turn becomes a challenge and your friend starts singing TLC's Waterfalls or talking about leaky faucets or something more offensive.  Well intensify that by the start and stop of CANAL street which gets it's name because of the Canal running down the middle of it, as well as, feeling not just every bump and turn, but every pebble AND you're needing to use your core muscles as well as other muscles to hold the bike up right so they're not as useful for holding anything else! It's just a lose, lose situation.

10.  Bicycles! Dear cyclist, there is no bike lane, and if there was it would be for motorbikes not for YOU! Unless you can accelerate to faster than the speed I am going when you pull out in front of me or when you're riding with your buddies 3 bikes wide, then you should NOT get in front of me! Also, man who was weaving between my bike and a car and began to wobble, reaching out and grabbing me was not the appropriate reaction as you nearly gave me a heart attack. Also, it's super hot here in Thailand, I'm guessing from your short tight shorts that you're European, it's cooler there and I don't think the traffic is so bad either. Bike on back!




No comments:

Post a Comment