Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I Freed the Birds


Outside the ornate temples we've found ladies selling flowers & trinkets & renting shawls,  (wouldn't want to be scantily clad when you go in to worship the idols.)  In our 2 weeks here we've seen dozens of Wats (Buddhist temples); Sara thinks she's pretty funny with her new favorite phrase, "If you've seen Wat you've seen'em all!"

At each wat we see worshippers purchase these things & drop money into the baskets of the many monks in an effort to earn merit.  
However, today as I exited the wat and went about putting my shoes back on, a woman approached me with a different offer.  At her feet were several enclosed baskets filled with tiny, chirping birds.



 She began to use the universal language of "human video" (or "charades," for you non AG folk) to let me know that for 100 baht (about $3.25) I could untie the cords holding the basket together and free the birds.  While her human video of the birds flying away lacked the necessary lusture & allure I'd have hoped for, she does get bonus points for her English attempt, "You have good luck!"  In other words, if I gave her 100 baht I could free the birds and "I have good luck." DONE! Who passes up that kind of deal?!

Before you stop sending me mission's dollars, which if you'd like to here's a brand new link plus if you DO donate then "you have good luck!" My account is about $1,000 short this month with only a couple more days on my October statement to give!!! Don't miss out! Birds will fly free! Click Here to GIVE

But seriously, before I proceed, I must tell you:
#1)  I do not believe freeing these birds would give me any good luck, but possibly bird flu.
#2)  I realize 100 baht is highway robbery as my team just had lunch for 185 baht (about $1.05 per person)
#3)  I've seen Brokedown Palace & I know that when Claire Daines freed those birds that they flew right back to the hand that fed them until the next Farang (foreigner) pays their ransom!






So why release the birds you ask?

Same reason my brother and SIL give to & serving with F.R.E.E. International- a really cool anti-human trafficking organization to FREE women & children. Check out FREE International 

Same reason your mama paid the bail bondsman!

Same reason we honor our military men & women & why they're willing to go!

Same reason my therapy friends help addicted clients get FREE!

Same reasons kids bolt out of their desks at the final bell of the day!

Same reason Dave Ramsey created Financial Peace University.  So we can call in and scream, "I'm debt FREE!"

Same reason you take your kid to Sunday school & pray for the prodigal son!

Same reason you adopted those children!

Same reason you give to missionaries & why we missionaries GO!

Freedom is our heart's cry because it's in our DNA, we have our Father's heart.  It is for FREEDOM that He set us FREE! Much more than 100 baht was paid for my freedom & it is my mission that other's will know that freedom as well! So, I freed the birds!

1 comment:

  1. FREE! This is my fave blogpost of all time! Love you dearly MBK!

    ReplyDelete